About the Round Table
Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India) Chair on IPR & CIPRA: National Law School of India University, Bangalore in association with Geographical Indications Registry Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trademarks, India is conducting one day Virtual Round Table on “Geographical Indications: Protection & Promotion in India”.
The focus of this conference is pertaining to the opportunities and challenges of GIs in India. Further to understand from the stakeholders the ground realities of the pre- and post-registration scenarios on GIs and emphasise on the various approaches on the ways forward forthe better working of GIs system in India.This Conference is designed to enhance awareness on the challenges related to protection of GI in India and probable solutions thereof.
This Conference is aimed to bring together the GI holders, members of the GI communities, legal fraternity, academicians, and the benign consumers of the of the society to increase the awareness on the functioning of Indian GI system. Experts in the field will be addressing the gathering and sharing their experience.
E-Certificate of Participation, , will be provided for each session to all attendees based on the information provided in the Registration Form.
Schedule and Theme
Session I: Protection of Geographical Indications : Key Challenges (11.45 am – 12.45 pm).
- Role of Applicant under GI law and legal requirements: Ms.Gowri Tirumurti, Partner and Head of Trademarks Exports, Anand & Anand.
- Authorized users: Requirements & Procedure, their Rights: Mr.T.K Rout, Deputy Director, Textiles Committee, Govt. of India.
- Quality Assurance/Control – Inspection Body:Administration & Role: Dr. C.R. Elsy, Professor & Head IPR Cell, Kerala Agricultural University.
- GI Representative: Mr. D. Rakesh, Cheriyal Paintings, Telangana.
Session II: Management of Geographical Indications (12.45 pm – 1.45 pm)
- GI as a Brand Creating Strategy: Mr. Subhajit Saha,Director CII, Telangana.
- Role of E-commerce and export mechanism for GI Goods: Mr. Prateek B Singh, Founder and Director, ShoppingKart24.
- GI: A tool to Protect Culture & Traditions: Mr. Sachin Satvi, President, Ayush warli painting cluster.
- GI Representative: Mr. Hansel Vaz, Producer Cashew Feni, Goa.
Session III: Geographical Indications: Taking Forward (2.30pm– 3.30pm)
- Role of Governmental & Non-Governmental agencies in the Development of GIs: S.R. Satheesha, Director (Exports) and Managing Director, VTPC, Karnataka and Mrs. Hina Qazi, Craft Development Institute, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Enforcement Mechanism for the Protection of GIs:Dr. Chinnaraja G Naidu, Registrar of Geographical Indications and GI Representative: Mr. P. Narayanan Unny, Unny’s Navara Eco farm, Kerala.
Registration for the Round Table is Free.